Birthing Babies via the Knife

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to women who have experienced and preferred their cesareans over vaginal birth. I know that most people would probably prefer to have a 'normal' birth and to experience the labor, the pains and, well, the experience itself of birthing a baby in that manner. I understand that scheduled c-sections for convenience aren't too cool and likewise, understand that 'baking baby' as long as possible is best. There are occasions though that leave mothers without the option to deliver naturally, like with my first c-section and if you're in a location like I am, it will be hard to find a doctor willing to deliver subsequent pregnancies vaginally. This shouldn't take away any of the joys surrounding the coming of your child and shouldn't devastate you like I've seen happen to others though.

I have spoke with a number of other ladies who have had nothing but great things to say about their own c-sections which is awesome since I feel like more often than not, it's looked at as the ultimate let down when that becomes a woman's only option to safely deliver her baby. I feel like it's almost taboo to speak up and tell others that “hey, it isn't really all that bad at all!” I completely understand the risks of this kind of surgery and am aware of the pros and cons to both methods of delivery, so I'm not going to debate those facts here. I am, however, going to share a little bit about why I personally loved my last two birthing experiences and possibly give you a few reasons to embrace your own situation if you too will be birthing your baby via the knife ;)
 
 Reasons I LOVED my C-Section Experiences:

  1. I didn't have to labor long and didn't have to feel horrible contractions or the “ring of fire” like I did my first labor and delivery.
  2. I wasn't nearly as exhausted after delivery since I didn't have to push at all.
  3. My recoveries were extraordinarily easy (which I know unfortunately isn't everyone's experience.) Getting up, walking around and staying active helped me a ton!
  4. My spinal taps didn't last nearly as long as the epidural, so I was able to get up and about a lot more quickly.
  5. My vagina wasn't stretched a grotesque length to allow for delivery. In addition to this, I didn't have to worry about an episiotomy which freaks me out WAY worse than the abdominal incisions I endured!
  6. I was able to plan around the “birth date” this last time around, which was a blessing when it came to finding sitter arrangements for Olivia!
  7. For my scheduled section, I was able to get ready beforehand so I was photo-ready, which may seem vain, but it was nice not to look an incredibly hot mess in all my post-delivery photos ;)
  8. I didn't poop on the table.
  9. I didn't even have to worry about pooping on the table.
  10. I loved being able to immediately get my tubes tied following my last c-section. It was nice not to have to go back in and get it done at a different time!

Things I TOTALLY Didn't Expect with my C-Sections:

  1. With my first section, they strapped me down to a cross-like table...kiiiinda freaky but I also didn't realize how hard I was going to be shaking, so it was obviously for a good reason. I didn't get strapped down this last time, but did have heavy warm blankets on my arms that probably worked about the same as the straps.
  2. I wasn't aware that I'd be able to feel everything like I did with my vaginal birth, just without the pain. I could feel them cut me which was absolutely painless, just weird since I knew what was going on. I could feel 'stuff' being laid on top of me and could feel every tug that brought my daughters here. I could even feel Evelyn kicking still as she was pulled out! It's pretty surreal and since I'm odd, pretty awesome too.
  3. As ridiculous as it may sound, I didn't realize that you'd still bleed so much after a cesarean. With this second section, I haven't bled nearly as much since I am breastfeeding, I'm told.
  4. I didn't know I would have such horrible gas pains in my shoulders post-delivery. That was actually the ONLY pain I felt at all associated with my first section. I was a bit more tender in my midsection after my second, however the gas pains were better so I'm not complaining.
  5. I didn't expect showers to be so relieving after surgery, which is actually a good thing. Wash off and get to walking!
  6. I didn't realize I would have a numb section of my stomach for years to follow my first c-section and now know that it could and probably will be numb forever.
  7. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a doctor to allow VBACS in my area, even though I didn't really care to consider a vaginal birth this last time around anyway.
  8. Lastly, I didn't realize how some more 'crunchy' moms would treat me after having and even preferring my first section (that was an emergency situation) and then choosing to have a second. I don't feel like I'm any less of a woman for the way I birthed my last two children and for anyone that does, well, that is their own issue! Thankfully, being nonjudgmental and all, I realize that different things work best for different people and take their two cents with a smile :) Just don't let anyone make you feel like you didn't experience an extremely magical moment of your own and definitely don't let anyone try and make it sound like you took some easy way out even if you too have a miraculous recovery.

I know how scary it is to have a cesarean become your only option at first, especially not knowing what to expect before going in or having time to mentally prepare in an emergency situation. It IS scary, but I think that most means of getting a baby here are actually pretty damned frightening. It's not an everyday event that most woman go in cool or calm to and it's natural to feel like you're not ready once you realize that it's time NOW. I feel like I'm rambling, I just wanted to send this message to ALL soon-to-be-mommas: LIVE AND LET LIVE. Hate the thought of a section? I hope you don't have to have one. Hate the thought of pooping on the table? Well, I hope you don't have to deal with that either haha. Just live, let live and revel in the fact that we've all created little beings, regardless of how they got here, that are so absolutely perfect that it makes me want to cry hormonal post-pregnancy tears!



So what was your c-section experience like? Did you have a great recovery or was it less than stellar? What were things you loved/hated about your child's birth? I would love to hear from any of you mommas, whether you delivered vaginally or via cesarean, medicated or naturally, at home or in a hospital, happily or miserably... I want to hear about your experiences so that we can all see that no matter how differently our children arrived here, we ALL experienced a miracle. Thanks for letting me ramble out this post of sorts, it's been swell.

Take care and happy birthing! ;)


 

Meet The Author

I'm a mother to three beautiful girls and a wife to a man I'm crazy attracted to. I'm also an obsessive crafter, wannabe photographer, mediocre chef, somewhat of a designer & an aspiring super mom... still working on all that.