Big Sister Bag | Awesome Crafts

The “Big Day” is coming quickly and as excited as I am for it to be here, I'm also a bit scared. Not so much for having two kids to raise, or for the added stress and yet less sleep that's sure to follow, or even for the financial responsibilities that adding a family member will cause. I'm scared that I won't be as good of a mother to Olivia now. Maybe that sounds stupid, but I just worry about giving her the love and attention she deserves while going through “newbornhood” again. I feel like I need to do so much more with just her and I before Evelyn gets here but that seems impossible with how sick and sore I've been lately.

I've been thinking a lot about Olivia's birth and how hectic it was and realize that I want it to go a lot differently this time around. I don't want anyone but mine and Jim's mothers there until after I get time to bond with the baby and I definitely want to make O feel like a big part of the day by getting to be there too. She'll hang out with the grandmas until I'm back from surgery and will be one of the very first people to meet our littlest love! Assuming Evelyn stays in until her scheduled c-section date, the whole “birth” along with getting my tubes tied shouldn't take more than a couple hours including check in time, prep and all that jazz. Those will probably feel like a few very long hours for the anxious grandmas and I'm sure Olivia will be going insane wondering what the hell we're doing and where mom went. Soooo to help the time pass a bit more smoothly and to make O feel special, I've made her a “Big Sister Bag” for the hospital!

What is in this Big Sister Bag, you ask? Well most importantly, the kit includes a Big Sister t-shirt and a certificate to honor O as a new big sister! I think she'll enjoy the attention the shirt will bring around the hospital, she's such a ham and I'm sure will be showing everyone haha. There is a bottle of hand sanitizer for when miss Dirts McGerts holds E, a set of mini play doughs, some fruit snacks, other goodies and a coloring book with crayons since, ya know, she doesn't already have enough broken pieces of those at home... I've also included some other random kid shit that's sure to entertain her at least for the little bit of time that she'll be with mine and Jim's moms.


Making the bag and shirt themselves were super easy. I found the tote at the Dollar Store and actually got a premade "big sis" shirt from Gigi! For the bag's letters, I cut out pieces of scrap felt to spell out “Big Sister.” I suggest pencil tracing the letters on the fabric before cutting out or you'll probably end up with a free handed mess like I did before starting back over lol. I then stitched an outline of sorts to make the letters a bit nicer looking. I'm not a great needle worker by any means, so I decided to hot glue the finished letters onto the bag and then hot glued the crap outta some buttons and bling to make it truly a bag a big sister would love. The shirt was even easier as I merely glued on some blingage too (I swear I don't use this word as often in real life haha) and used some extra fabric that matched that on the bag to finish it off perfectly. I then filled the bag with all the fun above mentioned items (some bedazzled to match the rest of the goodies) that will keep O busy and feeling super special on what is going to be a big day for ALL of us. 

It's my goal to spend as much quality time with Olivia as possible, now before baby and definitely after, since I want to maintain a great relationship with EACH of the girls forever and ever. I hope that my anxiety about O resenting me or the baby dissipates soon, since I'm sure the reality will be that they will be the best of friends and bring all of us more joy (and irritation haha) than we ever could have imagined. I can't believe there's a little under a week till all of this becomes a reality, I am so ready and excited and just ahh! I'm a ball of nerves and emotions haha.

So have you or do you plan on making your own Big Sibling Bag? Do you have any other suggestions on what I should stick in Olivia's? I'd love to hear about it in the comments section, drop me a line and let's chat! Have a Happy Hump Day everyone and keep counting with me... ONLY 5 MORE DAYS LEFT!!

 

Meet The Author

I'm a mother to three beautiful girls and a wife to a man I'm crazy attracted to. I'm also an obsessive crafter, wannabe photographer, mediocre chef, somewhat of a designer & an aspiring super mom... still working on all that.